Shekhar Sharma now a brand itself traveled a long way…as a passionate young blood and a dreamer he decided to leave his job at a flourishing stage and took a decision to create his own path in 2007. He was determined to the extent that made him first and only Indian photographer to shoot for Miss maxim 2007. Let’s see what he feels about his passion i.e. photography..
— By Mukul Jain
1. Tell us a bit about your background. Where do you come from and why did you start shooting photography?
A self developed celluloid artist who likes gathering different hues, tones and composition to create maverick portraits, I; Shekhar Sharma, am a Delhi based photographer with equal command over fashion and commercial clicks. My forte of peerless work ethics are complimented by an flexible and creative mind, enables me to get inside a subject line to explore the inner workings and intricate aspects to deliver the jaw dropping interpretation of mood, environment and emotive balance through the images that I click. After my two year stint with www.Imagesbazaar.com, wherein, I stepped out in the bigger world of self discovery, which would give me more scope to design my images and create my niche. My ingenious identity got a major boost with shoots for the brands like Miss Maxim India 207 as the official photographer for the whole campaign, PC Jewellers Miss India Worldwide 2009 as the official photographer, Yahama Calendar shoot 2009, Study by Janak (M&A) Calendar shoot, IPL Delhi Dare Devil McDonalds Promotional Shoot, S Tell Network, Swati Modo Shoe Designer, Hero Honda Hunk, Page3 Cosmetics, Ateliere Fashion Flash, Precious Garments, India Times Photo Gallery, HT City Brunch and Designer shoots with leading Lakme Fashion Week designers i.e. Jasleen and ZemZum, Rimzim Dadu, Hemant Kaushik and Varun Behl to name few…
2. Where are you right now and what are are you doing today?
Right now am busy with conceptualising a upcoming shoot for a USA based company its quite interesting one for me and challenging too this is for a liquor brand.
3. Do you work as a professional photographer or is photography mainly a hobby for you?
Photography is my passion and profession too it keeps me alive I guess it all started as hobby to capture memories as a kid and grew into profession it’s so much fun to have passion as profession.
4. What camera and lenses do you use?
5d mark || 1 DS mark ||| lenses 24/70 2.8, 70/200, 50mm 1.8, 70mm, 35mm macro lenses.24/105 4.0
5. How did you learn photography? Are you self taught or did you go to school to study photography?
Am a self-trained photographer my schooling was done with my camera
6. Have you done shots for any celebrity ? If Yes, whom?
For me each shoot is celebrity shoot and all models are no less than celebrity I have worked with lot of recognized faces as well
7. Do you have any secret technique to create great shots?
Let that be secret my secret is to listen to your heart and work religiously and with focus let the actions and results speak for itself.
8. What inspires you? Who are your favourite photographers?
Legends like Richard Avedon, Guy Bourdin, Helmut Newton, and Irving Penn inspires me.
9.If you could photograph any person in the world, who would it be?
I would love to capture “the Rock “ (Dwayne Johnson)
10. A lot of your photos have amazing lighting. Do you use flashes or mainly natural light? If it’s mostly natural light, how do you find such a great lighting conditions?
Mostly I love to work in natural light and outdoor shoots inspires me playing with sun is so fascinating while doing indoor shoots I try my best to create natural conditions.
11. I love the composition in your photos. Do you decide the composition before you start working with the model or do you adjust the composition after everything else looks great?
I Guess am very spontaneous I do plan thgs before like setup,props,location,looks but my angles etc are spontaneous
12. Do you work alone or with a large team?
I like working all by myself but a likeminded team is always appreciated.
13. If you could go back in time and teach yourself something that would have made your career as a photographer easier, what would it be?
Perfection can’t be improvised lol 😛 jokes apart I guess I learn with every shoot I do and I enjoy that learning the results are evident in each shoot being a self-trained I guess that’s the benefit
14. What tips do you have for aspiring photographers?
Practice makes perfect, so don’t expect to be happy with your work at the first try. 2. Be open-minded to adopt new ideas, so your work is always growing richer. 3. Have a desire to learn from every experience, good or bad, and keep on running… As Albert Einstein said, life is like a bicycle — you have to keep moving to keep your balance…
15. In that way you’re quite a generous photographer – your work involves the viewer as much as it does the model, or even yourself. What role do you think the viewer plays in the production of an image?
I Guess 50% is our work and 50 % role viewers play to make my pictures what they are.
16. Where, if at all, do you draw the line between what you might call ‘art photography’ and fashion photography?
I do not restrict myself I can click fashionably artistic pictures to pure art clicks to ultra-fashionable shots!!
17. What is your mantra for photography?
I would say just 1 thing “believe in yourself.believe in your vision and ideas “that’s the only mantra!
18. Are you dating?
Yes I am dating my camera and il soon get married
19. Where would you wish to wake up tomorrow?
MIAMI….Shooting at the beach!!!